canberrabirds

Superb Parrots

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Superb Parrots
From: Julie Clark via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:09:31 +0000
Hi All,

Following on from recent Superb Parrot comments, I thought I'd share a recent Yerrabi Pond sighting.

About 10 days ago, I managed to get out for my first walk at home for about a month. Heading around Yerrabi Pond, it wasn't long before I heard the sound of begging juvenile parrots. It took me a minute or two to register that it was Superb Parrots I was hearing.  Over the course of the next hour I had the pleasure of seeing at least 25 birds and watching three males and one female feeding numerous juveniles in several locations. I'd estimate that at least  70% of the birds were juveniles.

I couldn't resist taking many photos, although the views weren't great as they tended to be high up and nearly always partially concealed but it was still a glorious sight!

Some of my many photos are on Flickr if anyone is interested.

Tasmania Trip: Nov 13-22
Also, in case anyone else is visiting Tasmania in the near future, we had a recent 9-day trip there.  The trip included a 3-night stay at Inala on Bruny Island. Highlights of the trip included the Forty-spotted Pardalote, Blue-winged Parrot, male Pink Robin with juveniles, European Greenfinch,  Hooded Plovers and seeing juvenile Australian Pied Oystercatchers for the first time. For interested folks,  an album of photos is on Flickr:

Wishing everyone a happy, safe and relaxing Christmas and a bird-filled 2024!

All the best,
Julie

--
Julie Clark