canberrabirds

Koel activity

To: 'Philip Veerman' <>, 'Dr David Rosalky' <>, 'COG bird list' <>
Subject: Koel activity
From: jandaholland--- via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 02:01:32 +0000

Thank you Philip for this very interesting set of observations.  With all the noisy Koel activity around my place for the past 6 weeks there have been quite a number of instances when up to 4 Koels were calling together at the same time.  Often from the calling this can appear to be two males and  two females, with different qualities of both the male and female calls and with much variation, including what seems to be a seamless switch between the male and female calls.  Unfortunately, as you  point out unless the birds can be seen making the calls, usually not possible including even when they are perched like yours were, you can’t be sure which bird is making the call.  I have wondered a number of times whether the birds are calling antiphonally like Magpie-larks do, certainly Koels in different directions can rapidly respond to each other.

It's another aspect that would need a much more detailed scientific study than I can do.  In particular the activity this year has underlined the great variety of calls the local Eastern Koles make, including within the accepted male and female calls of whoa whoa/wirra wirra and kek kek kek/quick quick quick, respectively.

Jack Holland