canberrabirds

Report of the quarterly Majura COG Woodland Survey

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Report of the quarterly Majura COG Woodland Survey
From: Kim Farley via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:27:42 +0000

On Friday 24 November, Barbara Allan, Sue Beatty and I visited the Majura Defence Training Area for the quarterly COG Woodland Survey. It was an overcast still morning, but despite taking our raincoats (or perhaps because we took them), no rain fell.

We recorded 41 species across the eight survey sites. The highlight was the five Pallid Cuckoos we saw or heard - including a male and a female Pallid seen together. The call of the female Pallid Cuckoo call was not one that any of us were familiar with, but research at home afterwards by Sue established that the scratchy hoarse call we heard was indeed a Pallid female. While the male was happily calling from open perches, the female was only heard from inside bushy trees though she was flying between trees.

More about the ongoing COG Woodland Bird Monitoring Project here

Kim Farley, Barbara Allan, Sue Beatty