canberrabirds

Lower Eastern Industrial Estate

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Lower Eastern Industrial Estate
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 05:20:45 +0000

Continuing my casual inspection of ACT water bodies, I visited Queanbeyan Sewage Ponds (lower) which is of course in the ACT.  You get there by a long walk down the Newline Quarry Road or a shorter one from what used to be the ‘old abattoirs’ side, or now the EASTERN INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, a route not without its difficulties.  More than 30 Great Cormorants associated with nests on the 2 floating platforms, 9 nests that I could see.  To see if eBird had been there before me,  I checked the record which, if I read it correctly, indicates no visit there since Steve Read in October 2019. I find also that in April 2018 Martin Butterfield had reported 13 G Corms including 3 begging young in a nest. Well before that, as I recall, Marnix Zwankhuizen had reported the beginnings of nests on the platforms, these later being swept away when fresh winds created Bell’s Beach conditions on the surface of the ponds. The present nesting colony looks likely to be more successful, perhaps the most successful so far.