canberrabirds

Late Koel fledgling

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Late Koel fledgling
From: Maryanne Gates via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:24:02 +0000
Thanks Philip, that all makes sense. Hopefully it is well enough to go soon.

Maryanne

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 21:30, Philip Veerman <> wrote:

Hello Maryanne,

I don’t know that there is any evidence that Koels migrate as a group. It is almost certainly a solitary movement. I just skimmed through the HANZAB text and did not find any suggestion of social migration.  Also juvenile Koels would especially appear to be unlikely to migrate socially. Simply because they breed at low density and are simply unlikely to meet others. Also no part of their life, up to that point, has involved any close interaction with any other koels. It would seem very strange that they would get together at that stage. I wonder how that would be of any benefit. Sure, nature is full of strange things…… I know I am generalising and there could be the exception of being at the same place at the same time.

If the bird is OK to be releasable, I can’t think of any reason to retain it over winter. Unless there is some reason for doing so, that you have not indicated. I see Jack has answered about the timing and that this would be a late one but not overly so. This is an ongoing situation of change and it could still be subject to more change.

I don’t think cold is an issue. Plenty of other birds, especially much smaller ones, survive perfectly fine through our winters. The reason for koels migrating could easily be food availability, or just some inbuilt ancient instinct, much more than temperature.

Philip