canberrabirds

Bird ID from description

To: CanberraBirds email list <>
Subject: Bird ID from description
From: "" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 04:03:50 +0000
Hello All

Sylvia has sent several emails to the COG office with descriptions of
bird visitors to her Charnwood garden. If you can help her with an ID
please contact her.

Thanks

Margaret Robertson

"I've seen groups of a brown bird recently using my bird bath (upper
Charnwood). They appear to be the brown cuckoo-dove. Has anyone else
noticed them in this region? But, consulting Simpson, they don't mention
these birds as having white parts under the wings and tail when they are
spread, which the ones I see have.

The birds I have, coming in groups of 3-4, are nothing like Common Mynas
which have head markings and white on belly. They are larger and look
like doves, with small head, slim neck, quite a large body and longish
tail. When wings and tail are not spread they are more or less an even
brown all over. I haven’t seen them before and realise they have come
farther west than usual. I’ve seen them in the summer and this month.
One time they lay on their fronts on the ground after bathing, beaks to
one side, and spread their wings and tails so you could see the white,
which you only see as a flash in flight. I don’t have a camera but might
try to do something, hoping they won’t leave. It is like a forest here
with lots of trees and shrubs in gardens and public spaces like green
belts (special design of Charnwood).

I thought your group would like to know about this. I cannot think what
other bird they would be and they might have come to Canberra for the
first time.

When the birds were lying on the ground it was on gravel and I noticed
one was pecking at it. Then I read they sometimes eat gravel. I have a
large mulberry tree and plum tree with fruit nearby."
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list