canberrabirds

"Golden Bosun Bird"

To: "" <>, 'John Layton' <>, 'CanberraBirds email list' <>
Subject: "Golden Bosun Bird"
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 21:53:04 +0000

Hard to think of how this particular name could ever get confused. I mean who would think of that connection? The bird to which that name is used, is a very different thing. A quick check finds this.

Philiip

The white-tailed tropicbird, or golden bosun, is a Christmas Island icon.

Slightly smaller than the red-tailed tropicbird, this beautiful seabird is found from the western Pacific to the Caribbean. But Christmas Island is home to a unique subspecies whose gold-tinged feathers have earned it its local name – the golden bosun.

Golden bosuns forage at sea, diving into the water to feed on fish and squid.

They breed all year round on Christmas Island, laying their eggs in rock crevices and the hollows of rainforest trees.