canberrabirds

ACT-Yass Birds on Farms project

To: "" <>
Subject: ACT-Yass Birds on Farms project
From: Margot Oorebeek via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 23:01:13 +0000

Good morning everyone,

BirdLife Australia has started the new ACT-Yass Birds on Farms project.

At least 195 bird species in Australia are dependent on woodland habitat and sadly 51 of these taxa are now considered threatened or in significant decline. The main reasons for the decline in woodland bird populations are habitat loss and the resulting fragmentation. Only 22% of the remaining woodlands in NSW are protected in reserves, with the majority located on private land. The ACT-Yass Birds on Farms project will be working with rural landholders to protect and enhance woodland habitat on private property.

The project area is roughly triangular with Boorowa and Crookwell in the north corners and Canberra in the south.

The project will have three main components:

  • Community engagement
  • A bird monitoring program
  • The development of free habitat restoration plans for landholders who would like to protect and increase woodland habitat on their property.

The bird monitoring program will allow us to learn more about the distribution of woodland birds and the health of their populations on private property. We will also be able to record the bird populations before and after habitat restoration has taken place. And the bird monitoring program is a great tool in raising awareness of woodland birds and getting landholders interested in their conservation.

We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the bird monitoring program. We will be conducting surveys twice a year in spring and autumn. Surveys can take place within a 16-day period and the next survey period is scheduled for 15-30 April 2023. There will be 3-5 survey sites per property, and we will be using the 20-minute, 2-hectare survey method.

Surveys can be done alone or in pairs, volunteers can nominate how far they are willing to travel, and there is no requirement to be available for every survey period.

If you are not sure about your bird identification skills or you would just like a refresher – we will be organising bird survey training days.

If you are interested or would like more information, please reply to me by return email.

Thank you,

Margot Oorebeek

Project Coordinator

BirdLife Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Country on which we live and work, and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present. We recognise and are grateful for the immense contribution of Indigenous people to the knowledge and conservation of Australia's birds.