canberrabirds

For the snipe-ologists

To: cog chatline <>
Subject: For the snipe-ologists
From: Martin Butterfield via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 03:10:54 +0000
I have usually got my needed fix of snipe at Kelly's swamp.  However this year they have been reported, by myself and others, from an area in the Mallacoota Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP).  This was burnt in the Black Summer fire and for the last two years work has been done to clear the burnt trees.  This led to quite a bit of churned up ground, and with near record rains generated an area which seems to be ideal Latham's Snipe habitat.

Since mid-October observers have reported Snipe here, which is very unusual: the only regular sightings in the area are on the Wallagaraugh River (about 14 km North of the WWTP) with occasional sightings at Gipsy Point or closer to the town of Mallacoota.  The largest aggregation at WTTP was yesterday when 5 birds flushed from the marshy area as I walked along the edge of the treatment ponds.

Martin Butterfield