canberrabirds

While we are on the subject of wetlands

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: While we are on the subject of wetlands
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 02:42:51 +0000

Thanks Jack and Wayne.  Interesting about the wetlands at Tumut. I was recently thinking about interesting local spots associated with waterbird movements.  I was looking at Google Earth imagery and selected a 'historical' image (December 2005) that indicated the hydrology of the floodplain better than the current view. I believe there is an old watercourse that begins in the slopes down to the river on the northern side of Fyshwick (A). (The paddocks there used to be a good spot for skylarks.)  The watery depression then runs through the turf farm and under the highway. After high rainfall it forms that shallow ponding where waterbirds can be seen on the east side of the highway when you drive south (B).  On the west side of the highway, in between the turf farm (west) and the forbidden sewage ponds there is usually quite deep water where waterbirds can be found (C).  This is outside the forbidden zone but is difficult to access because of the dense vegetation.  It is probably part of the turf farm lease.  The watercourse then passes under Dairy Road and enters JWNR. It passes by Shoveler Pond, possibly being the present source of water for that depression (D).  The watercourse then becomes one of the palaeo-channels (E), eventually entering Jerrabomberra Creek. It seems interesting that what we now see as separate watery patches of occasional birdy interest are part of one structure that might represent an ancient course of the Molonglo River. I wonder whether it should have a name.