canberrabirds

One less finch

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: One less finch
From: Martin Butterfield via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 00:59:38 +0000
When growing up in the UK the appearance of a Cuckoo (the poor Poms only have one species so don't need to bother with an adjective) would cause much alarm and despondency.  It was widely believed this was due to the appearance of the Cuckoo in flight being much like a Sparrowhawk.  So possibly the pattern recognition element of the alarm response is triggered by the shape of the bird in flight and when a Butcherbird (and the other species listed by Steve) is perched it looks like a large friendly passerine and can thus be ignored.

Once the small bird has found the error of its way it is too late to pass this knowledge into the gene pool but instead it gets a Darwin Award (Avian Division).