canberrabirds

Remarkable cacophany reveals Barn Owl

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Remarkable cacophany reveals Barn Owl
From: Jean Casburn via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:23:07 +0000

7.20am yeaterday. My breakfast was interrupted by unusually loud angry bird calls which continued for more than 10 minutes, until a Barn Owl rose up from it’s hiding place on the ground on my neighbours property.

Unfortunately I wanted to know what the Butcher Birds, Magpies and Ravens were so interested in just over the fence.  I suspected a snake or maybe a Lizard.  However I was dismayed to see an Owl rise up and fly off even before I could see where it was hiding on the ground.  This gorgeous white bird with rufous stripes under tail feathers disappeared quickly and most of the birds remained on the power lines, looking satisfied. Except for the Butcher Birds which were always the most interested in the event and continued to hope for something on the ground.

15 Pied Currawongs, 2 Grey Butcherbirds, 7 Magpies, 2 Crimson Rosellas, 1 Bowerbird, 3 Magpie Larks, 34 Rock Dove (usually nearby) 2 Red Wattlebirds, 3 Australian Ravens and Crested Pigeons.

A similar event occurred last year some time in this area. Hopefully this is territory for a Barn Owl.

Jean