canberrabirds

Hawker lorikeets

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Hawker lorikeets
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:00:43 +0000
Hi all

Back in March, I reported on Rainbow Lorikeets in Hawker. I finally took the opportunity yesterday to get out for an evening stroll and track down the roost. The lorikeets are roosting in a tall eucalypt with dense foliage, in Goodparla St, about 250m to the east of my home.

I didn’t get a chance to look at the tree closely for identification, however the bole looks like a Spotted Gum. It’s a planted street tree, so it’s coming up to about 50 years old. The roost must have at least 50 birds, possibly more. By the time I got to the tree, most birds were in it and screeching away. I waited and watched for 15 minutes, and more birds arrived in twos and fours. The noise was incredible. Even the dozen or so cockatoos roosting in the same tree looked like they were having trouble putting up with the racket

I've just posted a short video of the roost on the Canberra Wildlife Photography Facebook page.

I plan to sit and watch the tree one evening in the next few days prior to sunset to try and make an accurate count.

Cheers
Anthony