canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey April 3rd & 6th 2022

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey April 3rd & 6th 2022
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 06:14:52 +0000

Prue and I did the autumn survey in the south of Goorooyarroo Nature Reserve this week. 50 species were recorded over the two days, although just 28 of these were found during 10 minute counts.

Sunday 3rd April was mostly grey, mild and with little wind. Rather few species were recorded during surveys with highlights being a Brown Goshawk flushed from site 1, 14 Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes and 4 Olive-backed Orioles moving together, also at site 1, and a Mistletoebird at site 7. Other summer migrants were almost absent with just a couple of White-throated Gerygones heard. Walking between sites proved a lot more productive with several sizeable mixed flocks encountered which included such species as Varied Sittella, Golden Whistler, White-eared Honeyeater, Southern Whiteface and Speckled Warbler. The most numerous species in the flocks were Grey Fantails, Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills, Silvereyes and Spotted Pardalotes. Some of the many fleabanes were festooned with Silvereyes, a closer look revealed heavy aphid infestations on the plants. Other fauna included a Shingleback and an Imperial Jezebel butterfly.

Wednesday 6th April was also grey, mild and mostly still. Our four northern sites were surveyed, unfortunately these are all dominated by Noisy Miners and we mainly found miners, magpies and parrots during 10 minute counts. One highlight was a Black-shouldered Kite flying over site 5. Superb Parrots were pleasingly frequent. Walking between sites was fairly quiet with very few small birds encountered and no mixed flocks. Most interesting were a Long-billed Corella seen with several Little Corellas, and a Golden-headed Cisticola seen and heard in the dense Phalaris in the paddock nearest the car park. As far as I am aware this is the first record for the reserve.

Steve