canberrabirds

Importance of Blakely's Red Gum (Eucalyptus blakelyi) sapling thickets f

To: "" <>
Subject: Importance of Blakely's Red Gum (Eucalyptus blakelyi) sapling thickets for breeding of small woodland birds
From: Con <>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:25:40 +0000

Weebills like them.

On 3/23/2022 3:59 PM, Helen Cross via Canberrabirds wrote:
Hi all

Since moving to the Lions Youth Haven (and Westwood Farm) on the Kambah Pool Road in September 2020 I've come to realise how much our small woodland birds use thickets of Eucalyptus blakelyi saplings for nesting. In that time I've recorded the following species nesting in them:
  1. Diamond Firetail
  2. White-throated Gerygone
  3. Mistletoebird
  4. Willie Wagtail
  5. Yellow-rumped Thornbill
  6. Grey Fantail
And I'm sure the Western Gerygone does too I just haven't been able to spot a nest yet. It seems the old-growth hollow-bearing trees aren't the only important trees for nesting!

What other species have people seen nesting in Blakely's Red Gum sapling thickets?

Of course the many old and magnificent Yellow Box, Blakey's Red Gums and other Eucalypts on the farm provide nesting sites for many other species, and I've provided records of the following species to Canberra Nature Map: Brown Falcon, Brown Goshawk, Dollarbird, Tree Martin, Sacred Kingfisher, Nankeen Kestrel, and Australian Hobby.

Regards
Helen