canberrabirds

OT: moth

To: 'calyptorhynchus' <>
Subject: OT: moth
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 23:31:02 +0000

I can immediately come up with a very easy hypothesis to that one. Attracted to lights at night which exits houses only at windows, however they cannot perch on glass but can on wood, so by trying to get as close as possible to the light, they stay on window sills. As the morning comes, they don’t want to fly around. They may not be attracted to bark by sight, after all they are night active, but maybe by feel or smell, I don’t know. Our wood surfaces are a novel thing for them that cannot be included in their instincts.

Philip