canberrabirds

[Canberrabirds] Shepherd’s Lookout today

To: "" <>
Subject: [Canberrabirds] Shepherd’s Lookout today
From: calyptorhynchus via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 01:41:38 +0000
I walked down to the viewpoint this morning, then walked on the new Ginninderry Conservation Trust footpath which extends back towards Ginninderry, basically following the road further down the slope.
This new path goes through some interesting looking Callitris and tea tree woodland, which could be potential Heathwren habitat.
On the way back I looked down an open slope and saw some birds climbing up and down mullein stalks in open grassland. It took me a few seconds to recognise them as Sittellas, out of normal habitat.
Most of the bird activity was back towards the Lookout. There were dozens of Striated Thornbills passing through, and a few stopped to take part in a mixed feeding flock consisting of:
Silvereye
Rufous Whistler
Speckled Warbler
Weebill
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Striated Pardalote
Gray Fantail

Also a female Satin Bowerbird Who looked as though she was carrying food to a nest, until she saw me watching her and then stopped.

John L

--
John Leonard
Canberra