canberrabirds

Breeding season

To: "" <>
Subject: Breeding season
From: Ben Milbourne via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:22:08 +0000

I realize this may sound like a silly question but please hear my logic.

Many bird species relocate from their non-breeding territory to a different, more suitable location to mate ... with this distance potentially being quite distant for the abilities of that species, and indeed the habitat could even vary.

So since if this is behaviourally possible, is it also possible for some species to relocate to nest, after they've mated?

With this scenario offering 4 possible options:

a) the species' breeding and non-breeding territory is the same, they mate where they normally inhabit, but then ...

(I) nest in same location
(II) relocate to nest

b) the species relocates from it's non-breeding territory to mate and then...

(I) stays to nest
(II) relocates to a 3rd location to nest
(III) relocates to its normal territory to nest

Would expect a(I) and b(I) to be normal behavious.  But would appreciate hearing people's experience (personal or studied) of these scenarios presented.  Especially if you're aware of species within the ACT which relocate again after mating but before nesting? Indeed are their examples of this behavior in any avian species?

Cheers, Ben