canberrabirds

Koel fledgling

To: "" <>, 'Ken Black' <>
Subject: Koel fledgling
From: kevingwenyth <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:33:40 +0000
We wondered if you might be interested in an update on the Juv Koel we first saw on 20 Dec as it seemed to be emerging from its RWB nest in our front yard, being busily fed by both "parents".  Since then it has remained in our vicinity moving from tree to tree, making continuous sharp begging calls and still being fed by the (presumably same) RWBs.  We had a good view of it yesterday (with binoculars but not a camera in hand) and it very closely matches the picture of the Juv Eastern Koel in The Australian Bird Guide (Menkhorst et al).  It flew without difficulty from one tree to another.  It's now nearly 6 weeks since we first saw the Koel.  How much longer are we likely to have it here as a begging juvenile?

Kevin and Gwenyth Bray

Sent from my Galaxy