canberrabirds

Breeding birds in Hawker

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Breeding birds in Hawker
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:46:09 +0000
It is absolute chaos in my yard at the moment with so many small birds about,
including many young. It’s like an air traffic controller is required!

Breeding shows no sign of slowing down, and why would it with abundant food
resources available.

Eastern Spinebills have a third distinct brood (based on plumage changes) just
fledged, with brand new young being fed by adults. However there are several
pairs in my neighbourhood so I’m assuming that the three broods are from
different pairs (oh to have them banded!) We have yet to find an active nest.

A pair of Brown Thornbills has had two broods. A pair of Scrubwrens has had one.

The Superb Fairy-wrens on the eastern side of the house (they actually nest
across the street in my friend’s yard) have just turned up with their second
brood of two young. The family on the west of the house fledged two young about
three weeks ago. My wife suggested that it’s a wrenaissance (see the ABC
article from this morning).

Silvereyes all of a sudden seem to reappear, having doubled their numbers
overnight with so many young with them.

On to larger birds, the Red Wattlebird pair has had two broods of two.

Crested Pigeons reported on previously lost a second nest, in a different
location to that of the first nest, and are now frantically rebuilding in the
original location.

Families of Eastern and Crimson Rosellas, and Red-rumped Parrots have all been
visiting the baths in the front yard and the apple tree out the back.

A pair of Australian Ravens and their two young have been around for quite some
time. One of the adults wails in the most over the top, melodramatic fashion,
while the two kids just do not stop talking!!

I also have four Uperoleia laevigata individuals in the front yard!

Cheers
Anthony
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list