canberrabirds

FW: Bimblebox 153 Birds - exhibitions

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>, 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: FW: Bimblebox 153 Birds - exhibitions
From: Suzanne EDGAR <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 00:33:50 +0000

FYI all coggies:

Skip the personal &

See below for info re a forthcoming birdy exhibit @ ANBG

Sue Edgar

From: Jill Sampson [
Sent: Monday, 3 January 2022 6:06 PM
To: Suzanne EDGAR <>
Subject: Bimblebox 153 Birds - exhibitions

Dear Suzanne,

below is an update on the Bimblebox 153 Birds exhibition in which you have a poem called The Birds, about the Yellow tailed Black Cockatoo.

I know you hate getting emails, but I thought I would send this one as the exhibition will be at the National Botanic Gardens during March 2022. I’ve highlighted the entry below in blue for you. The rest of the email is not important, but as you live in Canberra I thought you may like to know it will be coming into your area.

Your poem is part of the audio that will be playing into the gallery. You can also select it to listen to at the listening station. It will be number 156 for the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo. On the audio your poem is followed by the musician’s bird call interpretation.

I hope you are well.

best regards,

Jill Sampson

Re: Update for the artists, writers and musicians who have contributed to Bimblebox 153 Birds

Hi Everyone,

I hope you have all been ok over these past two very difficult years.

This email is to update you on the Bimblebox 153 Birds exhibitions that are confirmed for 2022.

It’s been a quiet couple of years for BB153 due to covid and my own health challenges. Then galleries began to contact me during the second half of 2021 with an interest to show this exhibition. I am currently working on a program that I hope will take it through the next 2 1/2 years.

Current Exhibition:

The Centre Beaudesert Scenic Rim Regional Council), 82 Brisbane Street, Beaudesert, Queensland, Australia.

as part of their Feathered Exhibition

11 January - 5 February, 2022

Hours: Tue to Fri, 10am - 4pm & Sat, 10am - 2pm

You are invited to:

Feathered Exhibition Open Day

10am - 2.30pm, 29 January, 2022

Morning tea, artist talks, Native Birds up close and screening of the film Penguin Bloom.

If you are interested in participating in the artist talks at this event, let me know and I will put you in touch with the coordinator.

If you attend the exhibition while it is on show at Beaudesert please send me photos that I can share on instagram, facebook and the website.

I am unable to attend so would love to receive photos that I can share.

For ongoing updates, please follow:

fb: Bimblebox 153 Birds

Insta: @Bimblebox153

Upcoming (confirmed):

Australian National Botanic Gardens

Clunies Ross St., Acton, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

23 February - 3 April, 2022

Exhibitons are at the Visitors Centre Gallery.

Dogwood Crossing, Miles, Art Gallery

81 Murilla St, Miles, Queensland, Australia

3 September - 29 October, 2022

Hours: 9am - 5pm, Mon - Friday.  9am - 12pm Saturday.

Yet to be confirmed:

2022

A gallery in Western Queensland is looking at showing BB153 through November and December 2022.

2023

First half of 2023 I am hoping to get BB153 into the southern states of eastern Australia. Let me know if you have gallery suggestions in regional Victoria or NSW.

Exhibition size is variable, from approx 30 - 50 Linear Meters

2023/2024

The second half of 2023 has EOI's from galleries in Far North Qld. I am currently working on building a tour around these that will enable BB153 to be exhibited on the return journey down the east coast of Queensland.

Bimblebox Nature Refuge update:

Late 2019 Waratah Coal applied for its final approvals including the Mining Lease and Environmental Authority. However objections were lodged by The Bimblebox Alliance and Youth Verdict. These objections will be heard in the Queensland Land Court with the case currently scheduled for April/May 2022. (there have been several changes to the court dates in the past two years)

Waratah Coal's proposed mine is now called the Galilee Coal Project (it’s initial name was China First). Waratah Coal is owned by Clive Palmer who is founder and financier of the political party called 'United Australia Party'. If given approval this would be the second thermal coal mine to begin development and production in Queensland's Galilee Basin.

How you can help:

Please consider sharing posts of your Bimblebox work and re-sharing posts about the Bimblebox Nature Refuge, most especially when the court case is underway.

Go to bimblebox.org for more information on how to help.

Follow what is happening at the Bimblebox Nature Refuge via

fb: Bimblebox Nature Refuge

Instagram: @bimblebox_nature_refuge

Personal challenges that have impacted Bimblebox 153 Birds:

Many of you will know that this past 18 months have been extremely challenging for me.

I became increasingly unwell through 2020 and was dangerously ill by the time I was diagnosed with the blood cancer called Multiple Myeloma. I’ve been undergoing treatment since diagnosis, then moved onto maintenance treatment about 3 months ago. It’s been a long, hard road from which I am still recovering. This cancer isn’t curable, but I am hoping for a good long period of remission before I have to undergo treatment again.

The current interest from galleries could take Bimblebox 153 Birds through to mid 2024 after which I would plan to wrap the project up. My intention then is to find a public institution that would take Bimblebox 153 Birds into its collection.

If you attend Bimblebox 153 Birds while it is showing at either The Centre Beaudesert or the Australian National Botanic Gardens, I would love to hear from you and to receive photos that I can share on social media. Unfortunately I continue immunocompromised so under the current covid conditions I wont be able to attend either of these exhibitions.

Thank you all for creating Bimblebox 153 Birds with your artwork, poetry, prose and music. Because of you the birds of the Bimblebox Nature Refuge reach into communities well beyond the boundary fence and tell the story of a place that is supposed to be protected yet continues threatened by coal mining during this time of Climate Emergency.

Keep well and stay safe,

best regards,

Jill

Jill Sampson
artist, coordinator, curator
+61 (0)408 841 434

@jill_sampson_artist

Bimblebox 153 Birds available for tour: http://netsaustralia.org.au/register/bimblebox-153-birds/
http://bimbleboxartproject.com
fb: Bimblebox 153 Birds
@Bimblebox153

I acknowledge the traditional custodians throughout Australia, including on the land where I live, walk, work and learn. I pay my respects to all Elders - past, present and emerging.