canberrabirds

Reminder - COG AGM tonight

To: 'Alison Mackerras' <>, "" <>
Subject: Reminder - COG AGM tonight
From: jandaholland--- via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 22:16:12 +0000
Many thanks Alison, and also a reminder that after the AGM Leo Joseph will
be our speaker  (details below).  Hopefully this will be our last virtual
meeting.  Jack Holland

After the AGM there will only be the one main presentation by Leo Joseph of
the CSIRO's Australian National Wildlife Collection (ANWC) titled "Let's
Talk About Whistlers: A tale of the "golden" whistlers in Australia and a
researcher's ups and downs."

Field guides today list three members of the Golden Whistler Pachycephala
pectoralis group in Australia. Things have not always been that way,
however, and field guides from not so long ago showed a very different
situation.  Leo's talk will review this story of how and why we now
recognize three species in Australia, how they can be distinguished from
each other, and what to expect around Canberra at various times of the year.
The talk will also have some musings about Leo's own journey of research
into this group and some of the twists and turns that have coloured that
journey.