canberrabirds

Hollows vs built nests

To: 'Dr David Rosalky' <>, 'COG bird list' <>
Subject: Hollows vs built nests
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 01:01:44 +0000

The one I saw a pair of galahs fly into one eucalypt tree, the second to arrive bit off a little branch about 15 cm long with several leaves. It walked along the branch to sit right beside the partner and did a lot of head bobbing. It then flew about 100 metres direct to another tree where there was a hollow spout. It appeared to try to push the little branch into the hole but was not successful and the branch fell down outside. The “ringbark” idea you mention sounds to me like another one of those dopey nonsense suggestions that is an idea looking too hard to find a rationale. What is the time scale for that to work? Cockatoos are naturally chewers of branches anyway – and houses for that matter.

Philip