canberrabirds

Grebes at Callum Brae

To: "" <>
Subject: Grebes at Callum Brae
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 22:55:32 +0000

I don’t know the site, so I could well be wrong in interpreting the situation of risk. Australasian Grebes do often nest in little dams and seem pretty secure about it. However, I suspect you are giving little credit to the birds’ ability to choose their own site. I also suspect that you are over sure about that “if they build a nest in that spot, they’re going to be disturbed by people”. Do people regularly go into the water at that spot? Do dogs go in there? I suspect dogs are a bigger threat. I also suspect that putting up a sign won’t reduce the proximity of people. A sign is likely to either be ignored by the majority of people who aren’t interested or attract increased attention and proximity of the few that are interested. A sign that asks people to go away is not typically well-received by everyone and so reactions might be counterproductive. It is not as if this is a rare species. Signs don’t work very well with dogs either. Not every nest is going to be successful anyway.

Philip