canberrabirds

One nest story

To: "" <>
Subject: One nest story
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 01:06:51 +0000

I had not detected the Hobbies again until just now. Sitting at my computer, I heard them call and went outside. Just in time to see one Hobby flying over the tree (and my house), this enticed the magpie to immediately fly up to the nest and begin singing. (The magpies appeared to have abandoned the nest for at least several hours after the event of Thursday.) The Hobby continued flying westwards very quickly almost at the limit of my visibility from height and distance. It was then joined by its partner and they flew together and apart for a few minutes in very fast chasing and following, quite spectacular. Though the direction of travel was coming mostly back towards my location, though I lost them as they became dots in the sky. I think behind the line of sight from my house from where I was standing on the back step. I don’t know if they were calling then, too far away to pick that.

.