canberrabirds

Probable juvenile Grey Butcherbird in Holt.

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: Probable juvenile Grey Butcherbird in Holt.
From: Martin Butterfield via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 09:43:47 +0000
I have a memory that GBS data shows the timing of this shift rather well.  I don’t have data on hand however.

On Mon, 6 Sep 2021 at 15:56, Mark Clayton via Canberrabirds <> wrote:

I have had at least two, and possibly three, young Grey Butcherbirds in my garden in Kaleen for more than several weeks now. I am assuming that at least one of these birds could be one of the two that frequented my yard last year with their two adult parents. I know that one was attacked by something (a currawong doing what currawongs are designed to do??) and unfortunately I couldn't catch it. The possible third bird this year is different to the two young from last year in several respects. The female from last years pair has "disappeared" and could possibly be on eggs at this time of year. Either that or the resident male has paired with a young bird. Time will tell if the female comes back with "this years" young!!

Grey Butcherbirds used to be very rare in suburbia when I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's. They were always regarded as a bird of the higher country but going  by the records on the chat line are now a regular feature in the suburbs.

Mark