canberrabirds

Gang-gang surveys

To: "" <>
Subject: Gang-gang surveys
From: "Taylor, Stacey via Canberrabirds" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:14:09 +0000

Hi all,

I am seeking support to undertake surveys on Gang-gang Cockatoos in the ACT as part of a collaborative project with the ANU and ACT Government. Gang-gangs have been nominated for listing as Endangered with the Australian Government and it is possible that the forested areas in our region are critical to the long-term survival of this species.

ACT community members have been collecting valuable information about Gang-gangs breeding in the ACT’s urban areas for several years but there is otherwise very little known about this iconic bird. I am hoping that with community support, we can better understand the occupancy and habitat requirements of Gang-gangs across the ACT.

Dates: 18th September, 25 September and the 2nd October (Covid restrictions pending)

Location: urban/peri urban and Namadgi NP (100 site locations yet to be determined)

What participants can expect:

  • Participants will be asked to select a small group of sites to survey at predetermined times within the urban area or Namadgi NP.
  • Sites will be surveyed at the same time, up to two times each survey date (one morning and one late afternoon survey round).
  • Participants will be asked to spend either 5 or 10 minutes recording the presence of Gang-gang Cockatoos and other conspicuous parrots electronically or on paper forms at each site.
  • It is likely that participants will spend a total of 2-3 hours of their time (depending on travel time) if they choose one group of sites in one day. For those who are happy to commit more of their time, it will be possible to survey one group of sites in the morning and another group in the late afternoon on each of the three dates above.

Please register your interest in helping out via this eventbrite link (Registrations via this link will close on Friday August 27th):

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/help-us-help-our-gang-gang-cockatoos-tickets-166725003975

Note, surveys may be postponed or cancelled if Covid restrictions continue. Also, please don’t worry if your circumstances change and you can no longer volunteer on the date selected. Those who register will later be provided with a link to a webpage where they can see the location of site groups and commit to surveying one or several.

Thanks a lot and I hope to see you out there!

Stacey Taylor