canberrabirds

Bowerbird numbers in Duffy - lots

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Bowerbird numbers in Duffy - lots
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 08:00:36 +0000
Paul (and others)

Interesting observation!

The flocking behaviour of green birds is incredible. Females mature at 2-3 years, males aren’t blue until year seven. Clutch size is normally two, but can be one or three. Those young birds have to go and hang out somewhere!!

You might be familiar with the study near Moruya conducted by Michael and Sarah Guppy and myself. Michael has spoken to COG a couple of times about it. The study plot is about ten hectares and there is one blue male bowerbird territory. In the eight years of data collected, breeding was attempted four times.

Of course, the study was a repeat of the work conducted by Sarah’s dad, Stephen Marchant, from 1975-1984. Stephen found that there was only one bower owned by the same bird in the study site. His report stated that birds were not really numerous. That is until 1979 when he made an effort to band them. He ended up banding a total of 234 birds in ten years, with 187 of those between April and October 1979. Retraps were few; a handful were sighted in the plot, one was seen 11km away a year later, one seen 8km away five years later. The majority dispersed and weren’t seen again.

Many years ago I spoke with a landholder at reidsdale, south of Braidwood, about bowerbirds. He said the green birds would come in huge numbers in winter, feeding on flowers in the apple orchards.

Cheers

Anthony