canberrabirds

Superb Parrots as overwinterers in Hughes/Garran

To: "" <>
Subject: Superb Parrots as overwinterers in Hughes/Garran
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 02:05:24 +0000
The Superb Parrot traffic is just ramping up for me in Hawker. July is the quietest period with maybe a couple of birds a week. Now I’m seeing and hearing the birds move in and out of the suburbs. As I wrote in June: I’m basically under a flyway (Dungowan and Mataranka Sts) between the breeding area to the south-west in the molonglo valley and feeding areas in the suburbs. Singles, pairs, groups small and large, calling and silent.

Soon enough, there will be too many to keep track of. Then when birds are on eggs, I get groups of males coming over. In January, it’s groups of adults and young.

I’d love to get some volunteers to sit along the urban rural fringe and count the birds moving (number, direction, sex ratio). There is no substitute for quality survey work!

John’s spot in Holt must be just far enough west from here to miss that regular commuting traffic.

I’ve attached a pic that shows the parrot breeding areas in the molonglo valley and the spring valley farm further south. My house is the red circle.