canberrabirds

Belconnen owl

To: COG list <>
Subject: Belconnen owl
From: Matthew Larkin via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:40:42 +0000
While driving north on Benjamin Way yesterday (Wed  11th) around 3.45 pm I
noticed, as I slowed for a red light at College St, a number of magpies
harassing a (presumed) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo in flight.  Odd, I thought -
they don’t usually bother with the cockies. Ah - maybe a grey goshawk?? Due to
the happy circumstance of the aforementioned red light I was able to continue
to watch, and noticed the subject of their attention was not all white, but had
greyish speckled markings on the upper surface and I realised I was looking at
a Barn Owl. It flew into a Casuarina, pursued by the magpies - at which point
observations were curtailed by the light changing to green, requiring my
immediate departure.

Owl sightings in Benjamin Way are commonplace for Belconnen residents of
course, but I believe this might be the first time for an owl in flight!

Matthew Larkin

Sent from my iPad
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list