canberrabirds

Honeyeaters on Mt. Majura (take 2)

To: "" <>
Subject: Honeyeaters on Mt. Majura (take 2)
From: Peter <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 05:46:55 +0000
Hi All, I tried to send this to the list earlier with snips showing
exactly where I saw the various Honeyeaters this morning, but as I
didn't receive it from the list, I'm guessing the snips were too
large-apologises if it did already come through and it is just my
computer...

This morning Mt. Majura was surprisingly productive. Specifically on the
western slopes in Casuarina forest, a small distance above the main
firetrail that heads north towards the federal highway above the big
open horse paddock. In the space of about 10 minutes observed 2 yellow
faced honeyeaters, 1 fuscous, and 2 yellow tufted. I can't recall seeing
either of the latter two species on Majura although no doubt they do
occur there. Dog and I continued on our walk and saw 2 more yellow faced
on the far side of the hill below the radar and then did a big loop
around to come back just a couple of hundred meters below where we'd
seen the previous collection and had the most surprising sighting, a
male Scarlet HE (or Myzomela) perched briefly on an exposed dead gum
branch. Along with White eared, Red Wattlebird, and Noisy Miner (: - a
seven species HE day which was certainly not what I anticipated when I
set off-but I felt very lucky to see such colour!

The HEs seemed to be feeding in the Casuarina (insects?), although I
didn't see the Scarlet long enough to see what he was really doing (the
dog was getting antsy) and he was certainly in the gum forest that lines
the firetrail, rather than in the Casuarina.

In the same area as the honeyeaters, a Fan Tailed cuckoo calling
persistently (ie continually both times about 1.5 hours apart)
suggesting that the Brown Thornbill observed nest building on the
chatline has the right idea in trying to beat the cuckoos to their game.

cheers,

Peter

Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list