canberrabirds

Surprise Visitor - perhaps a brown goshawk?

To: "" <>, "'Canberra Birds '" <>
Subject: Surprise Visitor - perhaps a brown goshawk?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 07:51:56 +0000

Hi Kevin,

Good notes there. About the very distinctive white “blotches”, that is a correct feature, though usually of the Collared Sparrowhawk. It shows in lots of photos but is never (?) shown in painted representations. This is not because it isn’t real, but because illustrators (nearly) always prefer to show birds in full grown, non moulted or worn plumage. These white “blotches” are bases of feathers that are normally hidden by the tips of fully grown feathers above.  Commonly the bases of body feathers are white, grey or black.

It is generally mostly sea birds that are sometimes shown in illustrations with worn plumage and only when there is a specific point to be made.

My concern though is whilst  I also think it is a Brown Goshawk based on the general proportions(including your guess of size), the rounded tail and the biggish beak and face shape. It matches the immature stage. I haven’t seen those white “blotches so clearly before on a Brown Goshawk and had previously suggested it is a little described distinguishing point between the two. Maybe it isn’t, that is if your bird isn’t a Collared Sparrowhawk (I can’t be 100% sure it isn’t from those photos, certainly either of these). It would make sense that both species show the feature but far more often showing on a Collared Sparrowhawk. Both species can turn up in any Canberra garden area, though the Collared Sparrowhawk appears a bit more common.

As for the prey, it is clearly a bird, not just from the foot but your photo shows the whole breast bone, which is obviously of a bird.

Philip