canberrabirds

Black-shouldered Kite

To: 'Nicki Taws' <>, "" <>
Subject: Black-shouldered Kite
From: "" <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 04:05:00 +0000

Thanks Nicki, in my May Gang-gang column I noted there were no reports of the Black-shouldered Kite in the COG AoI over the period (late March to late April), the nearest record being to the W of Boorowa about 100 km to the NW.  I also noted that while many mice had survived the floods, I expected the dropping temperatures might curtail their move towards the ACT.   However, recent press reports since indicate this has not been the case, which may explain two other reports on eBird of the Black-shouldered Kite in the ACT in May, plus one at Gundagai.

It may also explain John Layton’s report of a Barn Owl near Holt on Sunday, with another on eBird seen at Goulburn on 30 April.

Jack Holland