canberrabirds

Barn Owl at Belconnen Golf Course

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Barn Owl at Belconnen Golf Course
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 06:36:09 +0000

At 11:00 today I saw my first live Barn Owl in the ACT while travelling through the Belconnen Golf Course Estate. As I neared the southern end of Britten Jones Drive seven or eight Pied Currawongs barrelled across the road in front of me and entered a bushy tree on the edge of the golf course while kicking up a tremendous din. As often when witnessing such avian histrionics, I stopped and walked over to see if there was a raptor central to the disturbance.

When about 12 metres from the tree, I saw the owl inching along a horizontal branch until it fetched up against the trunk and turned towards its tormentors opening and closing its bill. Perhaps it was hissing but I couldn’t really tell if it was making any sound at all. Then it turned its head towards me and, for an instant, I was transfixed by the facial disk, confronting me like a wonderfully wild, white valentine.

Concerned that my proximity might have been interfering with the natural course of events, I returned to the car from where I still had a reasonably good overview of the drama. As I watched, the owl broke cover and flew away to the NE, its floating, wafting flight reminiscent of a big white moth. The noisy currawongs, now numbering about fifteen, strung out in pursuit but soon drew level and surrounded it. However, I didn’t notice any swooping or other attacking behaviour and, after 45 seconds, the birds were out of sight.

John Layton

Holt.