canberrabirds

White-backed Magpie, a very Black-backed one - and Satin Bowerbirds

To: Canberrabirds list <>
Subject: White-backed Magpie, a very Black-backed one - and Satin Bowerbirds
From: Barbara Preston via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:05:18 +0000
There is a female White-backed Magpie that hangs around in the hope of the odd grub or worm as we work in our garden and the one next door. She comes with two to four Black-backed companions. They are usually companionable, but there are squabbles over titbits. See top two photos.
I was looking through photos from last year, and noted one of her companions with a very narrow white collar – the bottom photo is the only one I have of it.
  • How common are White-backed Magpies in Canberra?
  • Is the one with the very small collar unusual ? (Or just an odd photo of an ordinary B-BM?)

We have had a pair of Satin Bowerbirds around here in O’Connor – female seen among the canes of a primrose jasmine yesterday and today (and seem on a gate in our garden briefly last week), and male started a bower with bright blue and silver objects in kangaroo paws a couple of months ago, but so signs since. Good reason for me not to “clean up “ all the dense, neglected growth in our garden!

Barbara Preston