canberrabirds

Fatalities among Crested Pigeon young.

To: 'joseph forshaw' <>, 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Fatalities among Crested Pigeon young.
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 09:44:15 +0000

Thanks for that. Sadly I don’t have your Pigeons and Doves in Australia. In terms of the dramatic increase in the birds, as evidenced from GBS data. For the first 9 years of GBS (from 1981) there was almost no CP occurrence here. The increase pretty much began from year ten as in about 1990. Then the pattern has been of a consistent increase, with no breaks in the rise, to now a relative stable state. Occurrences on previous decades were, it appears localised and of short duration. Just using GBS, there wasn’t any change in systematic observations by local birdwatchers in those first ten years compared to the years since. The observer effort and the survey protocol had been relatively consistent for all the years. This is the 21 year abundance graph. There really isn’t another species showing the same change in abundance. The last ABR gives the A value for the year as 4.48, so the increase has clearly continued since the A value of about 2.3 (showing in the graph) in year 21.

It is interesting to see you give the name as Crested Bronzewings and I have wondered why that name is not normally used.

.