canberrabirds

Dollarbirds, another DY Koel for Jack, Common Sandpiper & banded swans

To: 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: Dollarbirds, another DY Koel for Jack, Common Sandpiper & banded swans
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 06:16:23 +0000

Early afternoon today I saw what I first thought was a falcon flying over, near my house, though it was very odd shape if it was. I went inside to get binoculars, thinking it would be gone before I got out again. Turned out to be one, then at least three but possibly five, Dollarbirds. I only saw 3 for sure at one time.

Just back from Tuggeranong where I checked out Isabella Pond first, Quickly tracked down (cause I heard it) a quite big DY Koel. It was near the top of one of the eucs so not that easy to see exactly what happened. Calling vigorously. There were three Olive-backed Orioles nearby but they did not appear interested, though they were squabbling a bit with Red Wattlebirds. At one stage 3 Noisy Miners sort of surrounded the Koel and I wondered if they were feeding it. But it appeared the NM wanted to chase it away. The Koel responded to the threat with the begging call and fluttering wings and didn’t budge and the NM moved away. The birds feeding it were the Red Wattlebirds but there were several around and I couldn’t keep track but I got the strong impression that 3 or 4 Red Wattlebirds were feeding it, certainly two within a few seconds whilst others were collecting food. It was certainly getting more food brought to it than I have seen before.

During that time I went down to the water. Only took less than a minute and the Common Sandpiper flew by. From the east end of the pond, flew by me about 15 metres away, then as far as I could see it, towards the main bridge. The water level is much higher than it was last year (or was it 2 years ago?), so not much mud and rocks available. Great to see it here again or still.

Then went to Stranger Pond. Didn’t see the Blue-billed Ducks. Did see a pair of Black Swans standing very close, by the side of the water both with red bands on left leg, one BNP the other CZH.

Philip Veerman

Kambah