canberrabirds

Koels in Campbell, 2 Feb 2021

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Koels in Campbell, 2 Feb 2021
From: Joan Lipscombe via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 03:59:46 +0000
At 7am this morning an adult male Koel was on our back lawn, then moving to drink at a water bowl. It was not calling.

Around 9 am, there were two young Koels in our garden, moving openly but independently, between perching on various trees and wires or hiding in the denser trees, flying away and then returning to the garden.  They were silent and often accompanied by a Red Wattle bird which sometimes perched next to one of the young birds and seemed to have food, but it was not clear whether the food was taken. The young birds were spectacularly beautiful, unlike the picture of them in Pizzey and Knight, but as described, but not shown, in Morcombe ("Juvenile very different.  Colours rather like an adult female, but has creamy white cap with dark centre line, dark eye stripe, eye is brown  At one stage one of the birds perching on a wire spread its very impressive tail.

Meanwhile our local Satin Bowerbirds were active in the garden, with one spotted carrying food, and our local Butcherbird was singing close by.

Joan & Trevor LIpscombe