canberrabirds

A query concerning Musk Duck recordings

To: 'COG chatline' <>
Subject: A query concerning Musk Duck recordings
From: Chris Davey <>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:44:51 +0000

Hi, Peter Fullagar has asked me to post the following message to the Chat-line. If anyone can help could you please contact Peter with cc to me.

While preparing a paper on mimicry by the famous Tidbinbilla captive Musk Duck 'Ripper' a laboratory assistant of the collaborating author in Holland came across some sound recordings of what seems to be a male Musk Duck from the ACT but there is no mention of who made the recording nor exactly when and where it was recorded.  We think it was a Musk Duck recorded at Tidbinbilla sometime in the last 10-20 years but would really like to find out more about these excellent sound clips.

There are four samples (40s, 1'.40s, 1'.34s and 1'.28s in length)  on the ProSoundEffect online library website that offers them for sale. Each of the Musk Duck recordings is described briefly for content but concludes with the following comment: NB Exact date of this recording is unknown, Canberra Botanic Gardens. SE Australia.

The website is at: https://download.prosoundeffects.com/#!explorer?s=musk%20duck

Clearly, they were not recorded in the Canberra Botanic Gardens but we would really like to know if anyone can shed some light on who made the recordings! From the recordings it is obvious that the recordings were made at Tidbinbilla sometime during the spring/summer months.

Chris