canberrabirds

White Necked aka Pacific Heron in unusual stances

To: 'kym bradley' <>, "" <>
Subject: White Necked aka Pacific Heron in unusual stances
From: Steve Read via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 08:25:33 +0000

Thanks Kym, Hi all

I was watching the same White-necked (Pacific) Heron for a while this morning, from Ardea hide at the wetlands, and saw it do another strange (to me) behaviour: half-opening its wings and rolling its ‘shoulders’ forwards so that the half-open wings formed an umbrella-shape over the water. The bird was perched on a very low branch over the water at the time, and the pose was held for many seconds, and repeated several times.

This looked at first sight like the well-known ‘canopy-feeding’ behaviour of the Black Heron, reputed to attract small fish to the patch of shade thus created (https://www.audubon.org/news/watch-black-heron-fool-fish-turning-umbrella). However, each time it adopted this pose, the head of the Pacific Heron rotated so that it faced ­upwards, so that the bird appeared to be looking up at the underside of its wings. It did not scan the water for prey while in this pose.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this and the poses in Kym’s pictures?

Steve