canberrabirds

Male Koel feeds young Koel

To: 'Steve Read' <>, 'Jean Casburn' <>
Subject: Male Koel feeds young Koel
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 01:42:08 +0000

Many thanks Steve, you do seem to be able to find things from the literature so much better than I can.

I have looked for this, or at least association/interaction between Koels and their fledglings, on quite a few occasions.  This includes during discussions on this chat line, suffice it to say I’ve often had a hard time convincing subscribers (and researchers) that there is any association (other than by pure chance), let alone actual interaction, between them.  In particular from last season there is now some evidence for the latter, even if it often is relatively passive.

I’ve had a quick look at both your references and note just two example with Koels, both with the Asian Koel which I recall is a different species or at least a different sub species.  The Sealy reference has several examples, but all coming from a 1904 paper.  So it is possibly unprecedented for the Eastern (or Pacific) Koel.

Thank you again for this very valuable reference, the chat line discussions have often been broader covering cuckoo species in general, so it’s very interesting to see examples included from two local cuckoos, in particular the Pallid Cuckoo.

Regards

Jack Holland