canberrabirds

Swan banding project

To: COG chatline <>
Subject: Swan banding project
From: Christine <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 05:29:45 +0000
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with info about a Swan banding project, or with what might have happened to the swan in the attached photo.

Over the past couple of months I have noticed that swans around canberra have been acquiring bling, so I assume someone is doing a study of some kind.

Today I was watching a swan at Franklin, and noticed that it was only using one leg.
I watched for a while trying to see what was going on,and thought that the swan had lost a leg. But then, of course, the Swan swam to the other end of the pond. Eventually it came back, and soon started up-ending to forage on the bottom of the pond. After a while I determined that the leg was actually still there - I think.

If anyone can provide any information on who is doing the study, or if there is a need to get wildlife rescue involved please let me know. I would assume that if the swan cannot use one leg it would not be able to get onto dry land etc, though it seems fine in the water.

Christine D.