canberrabirds

Trucking Yard Lane

To: "" <>
Subject: Trucking Yard Lane
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 23:42:25 +0000
Good morning all,

Yesterday (Monday 26th October) my wife and I had to visit Bungendore.
On the way I stopped at the swampy depression along Lake Road to see if
all the recent rain had filled the spot where several years ago I
recorded two Australian Painted-snipe. The southernmost section is
looking quite full but didn't have too many birds on it - an
Australasian  Grebe, 1 Pink-eared Duck, several Grey Teal and a Pacific
Black Duck. The northern section has water in it but it is hard to gauge
the depth as the area has quite a reasonable cover of tall grass but it
is appeared to have a lot of water. There was nothing that I could see
on this part of the depression apart from flushing a Grey Teal.
Surprisingly there were no frogs calling, something that when the
depression last filled, were absolutely deafening. I would think that
locally, and probably even state wide, that there is a lot of surface
water to keep all the waterfowl well spread across the countryside. I
didn't travel down Lake Road to see what Lake George looked like.

After we finished our business in town we stopped at trucking Yard Lane
to see what was on the dam. There was a torrent of water rushing out of
the dam and into the smaller dam closer to the King's Highway which in
turn was flooding out into the local paddocks. On the usual dam were 2
Plumed Whistling-ducks, 10 Australian Shelducks - are these the grown up
ducklings reported in the past? - quite a few Grey Teal and a smaller
number of Pacific Black Ducks. The feedlot area was an absolute quagmire
and somewhat "on the nose"!

Mark

https://www.avg.com

Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

CanberraBirds mailing list