canberrabirds

Blitzing the weekend

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Blitzing the weekend
From: Nicki Taws <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 09:37:16 +0000

What a great effort from everyone who got out today in the mizzle and the freezing wind.

I won’t have a lot of the records yet but a summary from the submitted ebird lists gives us a total of 132 species so far, and we haven’t even got to the mountains yet. Maybe the mountain birds will come to us with snow predicted down to 1400m. (Michael Lenz commented on this possibility when he recorded Cicadabirds on Mt Ainslie.)

And some great breeding records coming in – 41 species recorded breeding so far. Nearly every list has breeding magpies on it, which supports my scientific assertion that there have been more magpie nests than ever this year based on the number of times I have been swooped.

For those who were going to do mountain locations, the whole week’s forecast isn’t very promising. I will be speaking to the rangers tomorrow for an update.

Cheers

Nicki Taws

0408 210736