canberrabirds

FW: My first Koel for the 2020-2021 season

To: 'Philip Veerman' <>, "" <>
Subject: FW: My first Koel for the 2020-2021 season
From: "" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 22:01:38 +0000

Thanks Philip, in this particular case my second try came through (at least to me, some others got it earlier) about 8 hours after I sent it, whereas my initial one still hasn’t come through either to me or on the web site well over 60 hours since I tried to post it.

I had my first Red Wattlebird being fed just outside my GBS site on 26 September.  I didn’t think it out of the ordinary as I recalled having earlier ones in the past, though checking the BIRD INFO on the COG website reveals just 20 dependent young records in September from the 35 years of data, compared with 211 in October (yours was first seen on 2/10).  However, 5 of the 20 dy records were from 2017, so there could be some evidence for RWBs starting to get their broods out earlier, though proving this  would require an analysis of the whole 38 years of the COG database (including the GBS), something which is way beyond my capabilities.

Regards

Jack Holland