canberrabirds

Popeye

To: "" <>
Subject: Popeye
From: Robin Eckermann <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 23:34:40 +0000

One of the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos that occasionally appears in our yard has an abnormality with one eye - as shown in this picture of both sides of its head ...

I'm not sure if it has any vision in its left-hand eye ... when aware of my presence, it seems to spend 95% of the time with its head turned to the left so that its good eye is observing me.

I'm curious if this sort of abnormality is common - and would welcome any theories as to whether its genetic or the result of some sort of injury. The bird seems healthy in all other respects.

--
Regards ... Robin Eckermann
Phone: 02-6161-6161 (w) 0418-630-555 (m)