canberrabirds

Unusual aggregation of Red Wattlebird and unusual Fuscous Honeyeater rec

To: 'John Brannan' <>, 'Con Boekel' <>
Subject: Unusual aggregation of Red Wattlebird and unusual Fuscous Honeyeater record both from Black Mountain Nature Reserve
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:23:16 +0000

Maybe my old record was unusual or things have changed for this species, but sorry for repeating. This is a repost of what I put out in April in case people think this is normally a rare species.

They used to be among the most common winter visitors to my GBS Site in Kambah in the late 1980s & 1990s. Which part inspired the text in The GBS Report (below); There was about three homes in a row that had flowering eucalypts along the street (Everard & Hiles Place) within my area. These were all removed years ago. I don’t get Fuscous Honeyeaters in my big euc tree (different species). In recent years there has really only been small numbers and quite possibly not even present most years (though they are easy to miss unless congregating).

Fuscous Honeyeater Lichenostomus fuscus

This is one of the less visually conspicuous honeyeaters. At times a group may occupy an area for several

weeks during winter and become the most obvious bird around. Small groups of this species sometimes join

the other honeyeaters in their April migration. This species shows a typical altitudinal migrant’s pattern, it is

almost absent from October to March, rises through April and May to a peak in June then declines through

July to September. It is probably because of these variable congregations that the abundance and number of

sites at which it is recorded (i.e. records) fluctuates dramatically from year to year. The abundance in 1982

was approximately triple the average of all other years, including up to 100 birds at Site 18.

The absence of nesting records is notable. The only GBS breeding record is one observation of two

dependent young in May in Year 21 at Site 203. This could have been from a nesting far away.

Graphs on page: 99, Rank: 42, Breeding Rank: 86, A = 0.15895, F = 37.07%, W = 26.8, R = 5.124%,

G = 3.10.

Philip