canberrabirds

something special, local wildlife (film)

To: Marg Peachey <>
Subject: something special, local wildlife (film)
From: Belinda Wilson <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 02:51:12 +0000
Hi Marg,

You're right in that assessment, it does have hair loss and is uncomfortable using its back legs. At this time of year I would expect a male to still have a thick neck with the weight they had gained over autumn, but given these features I am now wondering whether this is an older male that has been unable to maintain its weight. Similar to their smaller Antechinus relatives which only survive 1 year, male eastern quolls only tend to last 1-3 years before breaking down, so that may be what we're seeing here. This struggle to maintain condition will lead them to forage during the day as well.

While this is a natural process, our team will continue to monitor this individual and the broader reintroduced population as it continues to grow.

All the best,

Belinda