canberrabirds

Kings go forth ... through Holt

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Kings go forth ... through Holt
From: John Layton <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 06:53:13 +0000

As usual during the depths of the cold season winter-bare trees in our area are suddenly bejewelled with large red and green inflorescences which, in reality, are King Parrots. On Saturday morning 27 June 2020 we saw a flock wheeling about the area, stopping in trees just long enough to allow an accurate count of sixteen which is probably the largest I’ve noted  hereabouts. Every day since we’ve seen duos and trios and groups of up to nine. After about three minutes they suddenly spear off out of the area usually heading north east.

John Layton

Holt