canberrabirds

strange Chough behaviour

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: strange Chough behaviour
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 03:24:45 +0000

Just another comment. About: Has anyone come across references to Choughs flying high and surveying territory beneath? Predictably HANZAB has several pages about social behaviour of these birds. So that will describe movements. Though I don’t have the patience to trawl through it all. I suspect that being disturbed is not relevant to this behaviour. When Choughs are disturbed (for example by Magpies) they tend to either shrug them off or gather in a huddle for some communal displays, before resuming foraging, sometimes these event are followed by flying to guard the nest (if nearby). I don’t usually see them flying distances after being disturbed, indeed they seem to avoid it.

However when they are travelling longer distances, it is usually after a period of gathering together with a lot of calling to coordinate their movements, so they are ready to go as a group, before flying. That could be the commotion that Alison mentioned. That does not easily fit the situation of being disturbed. It is also more likely part of the process of joining or fracturing of groups of the birds.

Yes they do this high flight in flocks sometimes, like when flying over roads or another good example over the Murrumbidgee river from Bullen range to the other side or the other way. I recall another time I was with a small group from COG at Tidbinbilla (maybe one of those lyrebird surveys) and we saw a large group of Choughs fly over the valley from mid height on one mountain side to the opposite range.

Are they surveying territory beneath or just moving between sites? Hard to know.

Philip